It’s not that you’re anti-commitment with your daily wash-serum-moisturize tango. It’s that you have way too much information coming at you from each and every direction. It’s hard to know what to believe and what is best for your unique pores when there always seems to be something new popping up everywhere.
When people think about selecting a tried and true skincare routine, it’s normal (if not expected!) to feel instantly overwhelmed. After all, your Instagram is flooded with products, YouTubers promote their 30-minute Youtube regimes, and journalists share articles saturated with a list of tips. It’s confusing, conflicting… and enough to make you throw in the towel and go to bed with your eye make-up on. (Don’t do that!) In fact, new research found most people are washing their faces incorrectly or not at all because understanding skincare feels hard.
So what should you believe? Indulge in a thousand products or scale down? Many dermatologists say the latter. When you think about it, it makes sense: when your computer has way too many tabs open, it crashes. When you can’t gain control over your overflowing to-do list, you lose productivity. Having fewer things to focus on means you’re able to give your full attention to each one. So, if you are looking to start a great routine without committing to a ton of time, a one-step facial cleanser will be your best sidekick.
That’s right: forget about double-cleansing (or triple-cleansing), and instead, prioritize finding a cleanser that does it all the first time.
Facial cleansers do a lot more these days than just provide a quick and clean face. Many cleansers now include ingredients that make it easy to remove makeup, dirt and grime from the day — and even hydrate the skin. Whether looking for something to clear your blemishes, treat an acne break out or wipe off that hard to get mascara, there are ingredients in one-step facial cleansers that can fit your every need.
Want to know what ingredients to look for? Here are three outstanding skincare elements that can aid in your next powerhouse cleanser:
Raise your hand if your houseplants are actually your house babies. Those with a green thumb, might find a surprising benefit from one of their buds: Aloe Vera! This common houseplant is known for its amazing healing qualities on the skin. Its leaves produce a rich sticky gel in vitamins A, C, E, and B12. And, according to research, the gel from aloe has been used throughout history to treat a variety of skin conditions, such as burns, frostbite, psoriasis and cold sores — to name a few.
You can get aloe vera straight from the plant in the produce section of a local grocery store, but it is a popular ingredient included in many cleansers. Not everyone needs the added hydration and healing benefits. However, some skin types and conditions may love the results.
Aloe Vera is best for:
- Those with oily skin: Aloe vera gel is wonderfully absorbent, making it ideal for hydrating and treating regularly oily skin. It improves the appearance of the skin by minimizing pores and removes excess oil from your face, which helps with acne, too.
- Those who have dark spots: Scars from past acne breakouts can stay well beyond their welcome. Aloe vera works to stimulate collagen production in the skin to reduce scarring and dark spots on the face.
Before you let the long name confuse you, let us explain this powerful ingredient. Cocamidopropyl betaine is a gentle surfactant that derives from coconut oil. What does ‘surfactant’ mean exactly? Put simply, it means it can break through tough dirt and grime that’s layered in our skin, providing a super-clean and fresh feeling. This cleansing agent product also produces a rich and thick lather booster that leaves your face with the ultimate cleanse.
While nearly all skin types will benefit from so-fresh-and-so-clean-clean perk of using Cocamidopropyl betaine in your one-step cleanser, there are some folks whole may benefit more:
Cocamidopropyl betaine is best for:
- Those who need a makeup remover: If you sport a full face of make-up every day, you know how important it is to wash it off. This is sometimes is easier said than done, especially with waterproof formulas or thick foundation. Luckily Cocamidopropyl betaine is an oil that dissolves oils. Because most makeup products are made up of oils and waxes, and your skin is a natural oil-producing agent, Cocamidopropyl betaine’s oil base is perfect for getting off a full face of waterproof makeup in less than 60 seconds.
- Those who work outdoors or work out frequently: Some careers require you to be under the hot sunshine day-in and day-out. Or, you may be an avid exerciser who enjoys a killer, confidence-boosting sweat. In either of these situations, you may require a deeper cleanse to rid of the excess build-up.
It’s okay if you haven’t heard of this ingredient. It’s relatively new to the scene — but trust us, it’ll soon become your new fave. If you ask dermatologists, babassu oil has recently emerged as a beauty all-star — and it’s here to stay. Often compared to coconut oil, it is incredibly light and leaves your skin feeling fresh without the clogged pores. Originating from the tropical palm trees of Brazil, babassu oil is packed with vitamin E, antioxidants, healthy fatty acids and more, offering a variety of medicinal properties.
Most people will enjoy the luxe feel of babassu oil, plus the gentle properties. However, some groups will rave about it more than others.
Babassu oil is best for:
- Those who are fighting the first signs of age: Babassu oil contains phytosterols which provide anti-aging and collagen protection benefits that protect and heal the skin.
- Those with dry or oily skin: For those with dry, flaky skin and eczema, babassu is recommended due to its anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties. Because of being lightweight in nature works for both dry and oily skin to moisturize without leaving the face greasy.
- Those who need a refresh: With time, skin cells can weaken due to the environment, skin conditions, age and much more. This leaves the surface looking dehydrated and dull. Babassu oil will restore the skin to feel soft, smooth and healthy.
A great cleanser is a key to washing off the dirt and grime of the day. Shockingly, this is a step that many people get wrong. In fact, a national study in 2017 revealed that 52 percent of consumers use bath wash or hand soap to cleanse their face, while more than one-third only use water. If you genuinely want healthy and glowing skin, cleansing is critical.
To make your routine as simple as possible, your MVP will be a one-step facial cleanser with the right ingredients. This will help you skip over processes like double cleansing when you are short of time or simply do not want to work with a ton of products.
In fact, over-cleansing your skin (which is a thing, by the way) can strip your skin of its natural oils.